Dear Cornerstone Merchant:
Recently there has been a lot of talk over what ADA Compliance is and what ATM models are compliant. While it is not yet known if processors will automatically shut-down any non-compliant models, we at Cornerstone would like to educate and stress the importance for all merchants to become ADA compliant.
It is also important to remember all processing ATM merchants are currently in a processing agreement with Cornerstone and the ATM processor requiring that the ATM continues to process transactions throughout the term of the agreement. It has come to our attention that some of our merchants are being contacted by competitor companies falsely stating their ATM is not compliant and tricking them into signing a new agreement without telling them they will be breaching their current processing agreement with Cornerstone.
Effective March 15, 2012, all ATMs must be compliant with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Standards. Most of the new ADA requirements for ATMs are focused on communication and how customers will interact with the ATM, like audio or voice guidance, visual/screen visibility and display, raised key surfaces like Braille and location and hight requirements. Any ATMs that do not meet ADA Standards by the 2012 deadline could result in a civil penalty of up to $55,00 for the first offense and double the amount for subsequent offenses.
It is also important to note there is no grandfathering of currently deployed machines. In some instances there may be cases where the ATM will need to be upgraded or replaced entirely by another machine in order to become compliant.
Some ATMs that will NOT be complaint and we recommend be replaced are:
- Glory IACTs
- Triton Makos
- Tidel 1000 models and Tidel IS800 models
- Triton 8100, 9100 and 9600 models shipped prior* to April 2004.
- (*Each ATM has a date code on the product label. Either the date is marked on the main label or the date code is embedded in the serial number. For example if the serial number is: LR810041255412, the date is in the middle: LR810041255412. This terminal would have been built in the 125 day of 2004, May 5, 2004.)
A few older models like the Triton 9600 shipped after April 2004 and the Nautilus Hyosung/Tranax Mini Bank 1000 series do have upgrade kits available. However these kits can be pricey and depending on the quality of the ATM itself, it might be cost-effective to purchase a new machine.
Other older models, like Triton 8100 and Triton 9100s shipped after April 2004, are compliant but will need to add a Braille decal. Braille decals may be purchased through Cornerstone for $29.99/ plus tax and shipping.
Models that are currently ADA compliant are:
- Hantle 1700 and 1700W series
- Tidel 3100 and 3300 models
- Nautilus Hyosung 1500 and 1800 series
- GenMega series
- Tranax 1500
- WRG ATMs (with CPU hardware version 4.8 or above and CPU serial numbers beginning with 2009). Please note the WRG Apollo LT wall model must still meet height and reach requirements discussed below.
Where the ATM is placed in an establishment must also meet certain ADA Standards. Below is a listing on minimum requirements each establishment/business must meet when placing an ATM.
Minimum Requirements for ATM Placement.
If one or more ATMs are provided at a location, does at least one comply with the following?
- Is each accessible ATM located on an accessible route?
- Is there clear floor space at least 30 by 48 inches, which allows a parallel approach by a wheelchair user?
- Is the highest operable part of the controls within both forward and side reach ranges for wheelchair uses (48 inches)?
- Are the controls operable with one hand, and without tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist?
- Is the force required to activate the controls no greater than 5lbs?
- Are instructions and information for use made accessible to and independently usable by people with visual impairments? For example: Braille decals.
For a complete listing of ADA Standards please visit: www.ada.gov. For a listing of ATM ADA Standards and models please visit: www.cornerstoneps.net (Listing can be found under Recent News on the right hand side of the screen, labeled: NAAIO Guide to 2010 ADA Accessibility Standards)
Please contact me at email@example.com with any further questions regarding ADA Compliance Standards.
ATM Department Manager